Thursday, December 08, 2005

a lil' story...
I had arrived late to play some basketball with some of my classmates at the gym when I started talking to a security guard by the entrance who had been watching them play.

Security Guard - "you joining those guys" (he motions to my classmates)
Me - "yep"
Security Guard - "you guys grad students?" (I guess he thought we looked dorky)
Me - "yea... we're medical students"
[short silence as he turns to watch my classmates play]
Security Guard - "I hope their doctor skills are better than their ballin' skills."
[Two other security guard regulars by the door laugh. I do too.]
[short pause]
Security Guard - "If not, there's gonna be a lotta dead motherfuckers."
[The guards laugh somemore.]
[then silence ... ]

-Dan

1 comment:

Elango said...

OMG! It's kinda funny, but it's really just kinda horrible. It reminds me of interacting with people when I was in India. There are so many who are lower-middle class and below. It's hard to not interact with them on a daily basis. If they can't get money from you (or they don't think that they can), they usually look at with you with contempt. It's like they want to be well-off but realize that only a privileged few can, and so they look to other things to compensate. It's so sad, and things don't make sense. It scares me to think that the gap between the classes in America is widening.